3.11.2011

Clip Art


I got the idea for this piece from a friend who saw it in a magazine. I changed it up a bit by using supplies from around the house, which in turn made it a bit more rustic. I found this old frame at an antique estate sale for $3. I like the natural wood color and it was in pretty good shape, so all I needed to do was clean it up. I used some standard rope and a staple gun to affix taught pieces of rope across the picture frame in three parallel lines. I started my lines closer to the top of the frame to allow more room for the items to hang. Once all the lines were up I used clothespins from the kitchen to hang some recent pictures on the line. I then used ribbon to hang my handmade thorn cross* to add some depth to the piece.

Here is the finished piece.

This could accommodate anything light ...pictures, jewelry, flowers, etc. 
It would also be great in a craft room with ribbon spools hanging off of it.

*My inspiration for the thorn cross is this Easter season we have entered. To create the cross I collected some pieces of brush from the trail near by (the thorny brush plants grow in abundance in these parts). I brought them home and died them in brown ink so they would stand out. I placed them together in bundles, formed the shape of the cross, and tied them together in the center with a piece of twine. The thorn cross reminds me of Jesus and what he did for me. I got stuck a few times in the process of making it, and it is painful! I cannot even imagine what he bore. Yet he did it so we could be free.

"The soldiers twisted some thorny branches into a crown and placed it on his head."
 John 19:2 

"But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed."
 Isaiah 53:5

2 comments:

  1. I L.O.V.E. your new blog!! What a fun thing to do. The cookies look yummy and your frame/picture project turned out awesome. Hmmmmmmm wonder where all that talent comes from??? Him, I know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very crafty. I think it's cool and your photography is good too.

    ReplyDelete